The sheer number of hair straightening tools and hair care products on the market point to the fact that women crave straight hair. Having stick-straight locks also has another benefit – it reflects light, making hair appear shiny and healthy!
Women rest assure, you don’t have to deal with frizzy hair anymore. You don’t even have to get it professionally straightened with harsh chemicals, either. There are natural remedies that can give your tresses a sleek, slick and shiny look. Plus, you can give yourself a home straightening treatment with just a few common ingredients – they’re easy to find and super inexpensive, too!
Flat irons can definitely give you straight hair, but it takes too much time to use every morning. Even if you don’t wash your hair each time you jump into the shower, the humidity will undo all the work you put in the previous day. Plus, flat irons burn and damage your hair, which in the long run just contributes to split ends and unwanted hair-pouf!.
Coconut Milk Hair Treatment
Instead of turning to a flat iron, try using this hair masque instead. It’s made from full fat coconut milk – the kind you find in a can. Cartons of coconut milk that you find on the shelf or in the refrigerated section of your grocery store are watered-down nonsense. To make your hair healthy, shiny and luxurious, you need real coconut milk fat!
Gather the following ingredients:
– 1 cup coconut milk
– Juice of 1 lemon, strained of pulp and seeds
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Gradually mix together the cornstarch and lemon juice, making sure that there are no lumps remaining.
2. In a small cooking pot, combine the coconut milk, olive oil, and the cornstarch-lemon mixture. Stir continuously over medium heat until it reaches a thick, creamy consistency.
3. Spoon the hair cream into a small glass jar.
4. Apply the mixture to your hair, then cover it with a shower cap. Wrap a hot towel around your head as well – this well help lock in all the moisture. Wait 1 or 2 hours before jumping in the shower to shampoo and condition your hair.
5. Blow dry your hair as usual, then admire your beautiful straight tresses!
Milk And Honey Hair Mask
Isn’t this what Cleopatra used to bathe in? Who knows, maybe she dunked her head under the water and that’s why we always see images of her with long, straight hair.
Mix the following together in a small bowl:
– 1 cup full fat milk
– 1 tablespoon honey
Apply the mask to your hair and leave it on for an hour. Shampoo and rinse as usual.
Agave Nectar Smoothing Gel
Agave nectar is a sweet syrup that comes from the agave plant, but it’s not just for making your tea taste good. You can also agave it to make your tresses silky smooth.
Combine the following together in a small bowl:
– 1/4 cup agave nectar
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Massage the mixture into your hair, and comb it all the way through to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap or hot towel, and let the gel work its magic for 15 minutes. After that, you can wash it out and condition your hair.
Aloe Vera Flaxseed Straightening Gel
This hair straightening gel uses both aloe vera and flaxseeds to gently straighten your hair over a period of a month.
– 3 tablespoons flaxseeds
– 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons castor oil
– 2 teaspoons honey
1. Boil 1 cup of water in a small cooking pot and add the flaxseeds.
2. Continue to boil on low for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let it cool.
4. Add the aloe vera, lemon juice, castor oil, and honey.
5. Stir everything together until a gel is formed.
How to use on your hair:
1. Section your hair and spritz lukewarm water onto it.
2. Apply the gel to damp hair, working it in from root to tip.
3. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then wash and condition with cool water.
4. Don’t towel dry your hair – just comb it and let it dry naturally.
Continue to use this hair straightening gel for a month for a straighter and silkier head of hair.