Many of my friends and family members tell me that magnesium is nothing but a mineral. And this is true. But what they failed to see is that it is not a simple mineral like any other one, it is a mineral that our body need to be healthy.
In fact, it is so important that we MUST not neglect it at the expense of our health.
The good news first. I am pleased to say that you can find magnesium in many natural products. You find it in nuts, legumes, green leafy veggies, and avocado.
Why you need magnesium?
You need this mineral to help your body operate as it should as it is related to your red blood cells, your teeth and even in your bones. Overall, magnesium is one of the most critical elements for your body to function efficiently.
The mineral helps your nervous system to work efficiently. Similarly, it does help your muscular and cardiovascular systems to work at their best too.
On the other hand, magnesium will help your digestive functions and will aim to prevent some of your bowel indiscretions.
You need to know that the mineral is a basic component that is used to alleviate digestive disorders or dehydration.
At times, doctors may decide to provide a prescription which includes magnesium. This is generally given in order to purify the bowels after having undertaken surgeries, tests or practices.
As said above, you can find this mineral in a number of natural products. You can also find it in capsules as per the below picture. If you feel that you need to buy magnesium, then you can click on the picture. You’ll be able to buy it.
What are the benefits of magnesium?
There are many benefits of this mineral to our bodies. Here, I summarize a couple so that you can see it is an important mineral that you should not undermine.
- Improves your cardiovascular health.
- Helps you keep a good body balance and maintain your blood pressure at a healthy level.
- Prevent your nerves, bones, and muscles to quickly deteriorate.
- Has a strong responsibility in making sure that your body sustain appropriate levels of calcium, protein, and potassium.
- Reduce the risks of contracting metabolic syndrome.
- Can reduce the risk of developing kidney stones.
- Keep a healthy nervous system and prevent its deterioration.
- Help your digestive system work better and more efficiently.
- Support your mental activities and enhance your thinking ability.
- Reduce the risk for contracting fibromyalgia.
- Diminish the risk for chronic soreness.
- Stabilize and fight insulin resistance.
- Prevent asthma and emphysema.
- Support your muscles health and teeth.
What are the risks of magnesium deficiency?
If you do not absorb enough magnesium you may end up with one of the below symptoms. Some are more severe than others and I would not want you to have these. Check them out, you may already be deficient in this precious and healthy mineral.
- You can lose your appetite
- Nausea is one of the most common symptoms of mineral deficiency
- You are at high risk of vomiting
- Some children get hyper-excitability and you may think they are like that but they are missing a very important compound
- When you get older, you may get more and more dizziness
- You may be subject to muscle cramps
- There are times where you’ll be having very annoying muscle spasms
- Some individuals will experience muscle weakness
- You will feel tired and have permanent fatigue
- This one is normal for some, but many times the deficiency is the cause for being irritable
- You may have some irregular heartbeat
What are the illnesses you may be subjected too?
When your body is short in magnesium, it may be possible for you to contract a number of illnesses:
- One of the not so well know illness you can have when you are deficient in this mineral is the metabolic syndrome
- You can have High Blood Pressure
- Lower body magnesium content could lead to diabetes (you have higher risk to get Type 2 diabetes)
- You are at risk to have osteoporosis syndrome
- Another illness is arteriosclerosis
- You can have arrhythmia
- The migraines you are subjected to may increase in frequency
- Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that can develop if you do not absorb enough of the mineral
- Anorexia is really dangerous and can also affect your bones
- Bulimia: diuretic and laxative abuse, in addition to too much vomiting.
- Premenstrual Syndrome that a few women experience due to this deficiency
- Noise-Related Hearing Loss
- You may contract Alzheimer’s
- Some people may end up with dementia and Sun Downers
- Cardiovascular Disease: Augmented danger of stroke or heart attack
- Chronic Exhaustion Syndrome
- High LDL’s (bad cholesterol)
- Alcoholism is just around the corner if you are not careful as you will be compensating for the loss of the mineral
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Anxiety as your body misses something that it needs to function properly
- Leg and hand cramps can become the norm
- Restless leg syndrome
What is the worse type of magnesium deficiency risk?
When you do not consume enough of this mineral, you may end up with hypocalcemia. This syndrome leads to fairly low levels of calcium in your blood.
Similarly, you may end up with hypokalemia. In this case, you’ll have low levels of potassium in the blood.
Who needs more magnesium?
Obviously, the people who have the above issues should aim to absorb more magnesium. Nevertheless, there are some special cases, where one needs to increase his intake of the mineral to keep healthy.
A good example is if you are diabetics. When you are diabetic, you have some feebly controlled sugar which is usually disposed of through urine. Similarly, magnesium will be lost in urine and therefore is connected with hyperglycemia.
Another good example is alcoholics – Unfortunately, about 40% to 70% of alcoholics have low levels of magnesium. In fact, 95% of people analyzed throughout alcohol extraction have shown to have lower levels of magnesium. So, if you drink alcohol often, you may have low levels of this precious mineral.
What are the magnesium rich foods?
Always keep in mind that, foodstuffs loaded with magnesium are usually high in fiber also.
- Brazil nuts
- Whole Grains: oat bran, barley, wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, oats.
- Legumes: soybeans, navy beans, black beans and white beans, are maximum in magnesium.
- Assortment of lettuce and salad greens
- Pine nuts
- Chocolate (if at all possible dark chocolate)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Peanut butter
- Red meats
- Fish: halibut, cod, and tuna
- Dairy: low-fat milk and yogurt
As you can see, magnesium is very important for your health. If you have low levels of this mineral, then you are at risks to contract many different illnesses.
Some of these are really severe and it is therefore so critical for you to take extra precaution to help yourselves in maintaining the appropriate levels of magnesium in your body.
I gave you a lot of natural products that contain natural magnesium. Just consume these to keep healthy. And if it is not enough, then take the capsules as a supplement. I gave you the link so that you can buy them.
Back to you
I hope you enjoyed the post. Please do not forget to take action and like the post. Share it with your friends and families and please leave a comment below.
See you soon in another Omigy post.