This Raspberry Layered Slice is the ideal approach to end off a supper. Made with every common fixing, this flavorful treat demonstrates that we don’t require refined sugars to appreciate something sweet.
Looking through the layers of this decadent snack, you’ll see that it does as much good to your body as it does your taste buds.
Almonds are packed with vitamins and minerals and have been found to benefit your health in a number of ways. Adding almonds to your diet is good for the following:
- Warding off heart disease
- Lowering your risk of developing colon cancer
- Reducing cholesterol levels
Dates are a natural sweetener. Not only are dates sweeter than refined white sugar, but they are also packed with fiber. Consuming fiber on a regular basis promotes digestive health and keeps your colon cleansed. Dates are also a good source of Vitamins A and K, both of which keep your eyes in good health
This seed is full of nutrients, including copper, zinc, and magnesium. Health benefits of cashews include :
- Fights heart disease
- Prevents gallstones
- Aids weight loss
- Supports bone health
- Supports cognitive function
- Help prevent migraines
Coconuts – and everything associated with them – have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Coconuts have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. In this way, consuming coconuts is great for boosting your immune system and warding off illnesses and infections. In addition, they are delicious and very versatile fruit. Whether it’s the flesh or the oil, coconuts can be used in a variety of ways making them the ultimate superfood .
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.com
Raspberry Layered Slice
Our favorite kind of desserts are the kind that is packed with amazing flavors, not too many ingredients or steps, and low in sugar. Like this coconut, vanilla, raw vegan slice topped with chia seed, raspberry jam! A simple dessert disguised as a little bit fancy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Freeze time: 30 minutes
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates (pitted) Approx. 6 dates
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the Vanilla & Coconut Layer:
- ½ cup cashews (soaked in water overnight)
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
For the Raspberry Chia Seed Layer:
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries
- In the food processor, add almonds, pitted dates, and coconut oil.
- Pulse until a sticky crumble forms.
- Line a 19cm, small slice dish and press base evenly into the dish. Alternatively, you could use a 20cm springform cake pan.
- Place into the freezer.
- For the vanilla and coconut layer, place soaked cashews, coconut milk, desiccated coconut, maple syrup, and vanilla bean paste into the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly over the base and place back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While the coconut and vanilla layer sets, blend together chia seeds and raspberries to create a jam layer.
- Spread the raspberry chia seed layer on top and place it in the freezer to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and store in an airtight container either in the fridge or freezer.
1. Nordqvist, J. (2016, July 20). Almonds: Health Benefits, Facts, Research. Retrieved August 24, 2016, from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269468.php
2. Mercola, J. (n.d.). What are the dates good for? Retrieved August 24, 2016, from http://foodfacts.mercola.com/dates.html
3. Axe, J. (n.d.). Cashews Nutrition: Helps Prevent Cancer, Diabetes, and More. Retrieved August 24, 2016, from https://draxe.com/cashews-nutrition/
4. Dansereau, A. (2012, August 22). The Numerous Health Benefits of Coconuts. Retrieved August 24, 2016, from http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-numerous-health-benefits-of-coconuts-2.html
5. Morrow, R. (2016, August 10). Raspberry Layered Slice. Retrieved August 24, 2016, from http://www.foodmatters.com/recipe/raspberry-layered-slice