Our body has its own defense mechanisms that protect us in certain situations and prevent serious damage. For example, when we get a cut and start bleeding, our blood gets thicker and a scab forms to prevent us from bleeding out. This is our blood clotting and that’s how our body stops bleeding.
However, sometimes these blood clots can happen even if we don’t need them and in such situations, it can lead to serious and even fatal consequences. Blood clots can cause a stroke or a heart attack which is why you need to know how to recognize if they happen and seek medical help.
This is how you can recognize if someone is in danger of a blood clot :
- Feeling pain or tenderness in the legs – if you feel a cramp-like pain or tenderness you might be at risk of a blood clot. This is one of the most common symptoms.
- Unexplained cough – unexplained coughs are also indicative of blood clots so if you experience these symptoms start paying attention to your heart rate and breathing. If you notice any irregularities call your doctor and schedule a check-up.
- Shortness of breath– shortness of breath and difficulties breathing can be a symptom of blood clots in your lungs. If you also notice chest pain, dizziness, or a racing heart seek immediate medical attention.
- Chest pain with deep breathing – these two symptoms are also a sign of lung blood so if you experience them consult with your doctor and see what the problem is.
- Red streaks on your skin – blood clots can appear in a form of bruises. If you by any chance notice red streaks along the length of your veins, you shouldn’t write them off as normal bruise, consult your doctor and see what’s causing them.
- Leg swelling– this is also known as deep vein thrombosis. It’s a serious condition where blood flow in the circulation system is impeded. It also prevents oxygen from reaching the vital organs which is why it can have serious consequences.
You need to remember that blood clots can have fatal consequences if not treated in time so if you notice that you or someone else is exhibiting the above-mentioned symptoms seek immediate medical help and prevent the situation from escalating.