I eat fish cakes all year around. I love them. My family loves them. All my friends love them. My neighbors love them.
I think you get the point. Every person around me loves fish cakes.
But I have a soft spot for fish cakes with salmon.
Today, I’ll be providing you with a recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon.
You may say, but why on earth would you use canned salmon and not wild one for this recipe?
Simply because many of us leave in the city and it is quite hard to get real wild salmon. Even in the rural areas, it is quite difficult to get hold of wild salmon.
So, I have used this fish cake canned salmon recipe for quite a while and it is always a winner around the table.
Here is your recipe.
Recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon
- Salmon – 210g canned pink salmon (any color salmon would do). For best results get smoked salmon. It adds that little extra to your cakes.
- Onions – 2 spring onions all nicely chopped. Best to get the white type. I am sure you’ll cry when you’ll chop these 😉
- Potato – 500g potato – Peel and par-boil them. Make a nice little puree out of these.
- Oil – 2 Tbsp oil so that you can fry cook the fish cake
- Sides – Seasonal salad of carrot sticks, cucumber, and salad greens to serve with the fish cake. Add a little bit of olive oil on top
- Egg – 1 is enough
- Water – 1 Tbsp water
- Lemon – Zest of ½ a lemon and ½ lemon juice
- Coriander – ½ cup should do. Chop it all. Coriander is really healthy for you. So eat this herb in as many time as possible. (1)
- ½ tsp salt – Make sure you do not use more than that
- Flour – ¼ cup is plenty (you can always try the Free From Gluten Flour)
- Sesame seeds – About 2 tsp. These give the cakes that extra flavor
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup is plenty. You get buy gluten-free breadcrumbs too
- Yogurt – ½ cup natural
Direction for your recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon
Step 1 – Prepare the cakes
The first step is to take your canned salmon and put it in a large bowl.
Add the mashed (or grated potato), the diced spring onions, the nicely cut coriander, lemon zest, ½ tsp salt and finally some black pepper.
Mix the lot well.
Now you need to wet your hands.
Take some of that mixture and form small balls (the cakes). You should be able to make about 8 or 10 of these maximum.
Flatten these slightly using the palm of your hand.
Put the lot on a plate.
Now let’s move on to step 2.
Take the egg and whisk it with 1 Tbsp water in a bowl. That’s all.
Step 3 – The breadcrumbs
Just mix both the breadcrumbs and the sesame seeds in a small dish.
Step 4 – Final preparation of the salmon fish cake
Roll all of your fish cakes into the flour one by one.
When done, dip these in the egg and water mixture.
Each time you dip a fish cake, make sure you do dip it into the breadcrumb and sesame seed mixture.
Do this for all of the cakes. Both sides and sideways to the best of your abilities ;).
You can choose to cover the salmon fishcakes and refrigerate until ready to cook or cook them right away. I prefer to cook them right away as the breadcrumb does not get wet.
Step 5 – Cooking or shall I say frying
Pre-heat some oil in a medium-sized frying pan.
When the oil is hot enough, start frying the fish cakes. Make sure you fry them both sides 😉
I would advise cooking these in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side.
I have also cooked fish cakes on a BBQ. Again 3 to 4 minutes is much more than enough (each side).
Step 6 – The dipping sauce
Mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and the coriander. Do not forget to add some salt and pepper to match your taste.
Step 7 – Serving
This is the best part of cooking salmon fish cakes. Just put the cakes on a plate with some side salad and the dipping.
You are done! And well done.
Here are two pictures of my fish cakes. Enjoy eating them.
Conclusion on my recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon:
This is probably the biggest hit salmon recipe with my children.
But when I prepare my recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon, I just have a team of fan around me all wanting to help.
And not help to make these cakes, but helping in eating them.
So my conclusion is that you should start preparing these fish cakes right now as they’ll become a hit with everyone around you.
Back to you
I think we all enjoy eating a nice meal. And we enjoy it even more when we prepare it and get plenty of compliments.
I am you are like me, the more compliments, the more you are willing to put in the efforts.
Well, if you get this recipe for fish cakes using canned salmon right, you’ll be hearing a lot about it for weeks to come.
So enjoy cooking these and enjoy eating and sharing them with your close ones.
Now, it is back to you. If you want to find more great recipes in addition to this one, just click here for amazing Omigy posts.
Please do not forget to take action and like the post. Share it with your friends and families and please leave a comment below.