Below I provide you with a recipe for salmon croquettes using canned salmon. It is a very easy recipe that you can make in less than 10 minutes.
You may ask yourselves why is it so quick to cook? Simply because I do not use potatoes in the recipe.
By removing potatoes, I gain time and reduce my efforts to cook this recipe (no need for peeling to potatoes, or boil them, etc.).
In essence, this recipe is quick and easy to make.
It is always welcome as an appetizer at home.
By the way, I have already described a recipe for fish cakes in the past. Click here if you want to know more.
Before I give you the recipe, I really need to tell you about the difference between salmon patties, salmon fish cakes, and salmon croquettes. This is an important point that I get asked about all the time.
What is the difference between salmon patties and salmon croquettes?
There are only minor differences between these three dishes. And the main difference is not really in the recipe but in the shape.
For salmon croquettes, one should make them cylindrical in shape. See below.
On the other hand, salmon patties are more like a hamburger (round and flat in shape).
Finally, the fish cakes are also round and flat, but fatter than the salmon patties. This is pictured below.
Now, that you know the difference, below is your recipe for salmon croquettes.
Recipe for salmon croquettes using canned salmon
- 1 can of nice pink salmon – Make sure to drain it, that the bones have been removed, and of course that it is flaked.
- 1 egg – A fresh one would be nice and if I may say of organic type even better.
- Flour – 1/2 cup flour. Get all-purpose type and not self-raising flour.
- Onion – This time I choose to use onion powder. 1/2 teaspoon. However, you can always use fresh onion. Just dice it and replace the onion powder with the fresh one.
- Herb-seasoned stuffing mix – 3/4 of a cup should be plenty. Again, I am not a big fan of these type of herbs. I prefer fresh ones from my garden. But to stick to the less than 10 minutes preparation and cooking time, then I need to take some shortcut. If not I would go straight to my garden and collect some of these herbs, wash them, cut them and add them to my recipe. This is already 10 minutes 😉
- Parsley – 2 teaspoons of fresh parsley, all chopped. I know, I just said I would not go to my garden, but I cannot cook these without some parsley. Parsley is so good for your health that I try to use the herb as much as possible. (1). Look, Parsley is so good to fight breast cancer. So why would I not want to add it to my daily diet? (2)
- Black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon. That’s plenty already. Too much is not good for your health.
- Oil – 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or other organic oil such as grape seed oil)
How do you make the recipe for salmon croquettes using canned salmon?
There are mainly 4 steps in this dish. Here there are.
Step 1 – Preparation time
Take a fairly large bowl.
Pour the canned salmon (drained and flaked), egg, parsley, onion powder (or fresh onion), mustard and a little bit of black pepper.
Now, mix the lot well.
Finally, make about 10 to 14 small croquettes. Try to make them cylindrical. I know, better said than done, but try it. If you can’t, just make some shapes.
With time you should be able to make the cylindrical shape croquette. It just needs a bit of practice.
Step 2 – Make the croquettes
Take your flour.
Pour it in a shallow type dish.
Add the above mixture (the mix prepared in step 1).
Make sure flour is all around your cylindrical croquettes. When the croquette is completely coated, then move onto the next one.
On the below picture, I added some breadcrumb. You can do so too.
Step 3 – Cooking
Pour your oil in a large skillet (fry pan).
Get it to over medium-high heat.
Now, add the croquettes and cook in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
When golden, remove the croquette from the pan. You’re done.
Step 4 – Serving
This is the step that I like. When I see the smiles on the faces as I bring the plates through the lounge. I cannot tell you how happy I am as I hear compliments from everyone around the table.
Compliments make me go red 😉 But I like them. Enjoy serving salmon croquettes.
Here is the end result:
Conclusion on canned salmon arugula salad:
The last time I cooked this dish, it took me about 10 minutes to produce some very nice appetizers for my surprise guests.
So I invite you to put this recipe on your fridge with some canned salmon in your cupboard for the time you have some surprise guests. I can tell you, it is very handy.
It is a nice meal that is definitely not complicated to cook.
Back to you
So now you know that the recipe for salmon croquettes using canned salmon is very similar to the fish cakes one.
Please do not forget to take action and like the post. Share it with your friends and families and please leave a comment below.