There are plenty recipes using canned salmon and pasta. But today I am going to present you with one of my favorite ones.
I called it my mum special recipe using canned salmon and pasta.
To me it is really special for a number of reasons:
1- My mum has been cooking it since I was a child.
2- I now prepare this special dish for my children and they love it as much as I love it.
3- It is great fun to prepare and my children love preparing it with me.
4- It is also easy to prepare. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes maximum.
You can have many variations of this dish.
With or without sliced lettuce (iceberg is usually the best) to the salad, some onions (the pink type works best), some tomatoes (in small pieces or just little bit fried).
This salad is especially good if you are planning to bring it to a picnic. We usually have it at the beach as there is no need to keep it warm.
I also have it at lunchtime at work. All my work colleagues have asked for the recipe. So I decided to share it with you too.
Here are your nice recipes using canned salmon and pasta.
Note that I say “nice recipes” in the plural, as I believe from the below recipe you can make dozens. For instance, you can change the pasta type.
You can add (or remove) some of the ingredients I suggested. The below recipe is for you to adapt to your own taste. So be creative and enjoy cooking.
Ingredients for your recipes using canned salmon and pasta:
- 2 (7-ounce) cans salmon. Try to find canned salmon with no skin and if you can access to it, try to buy the wild one. And even better, see if you can find smoked canned salmon. It is so much tastier.
- A little bit of salt and fresh pepper – Aim for as little as possible of both of these ‘spices’. Too much salt and pepper a not good for you. Try to strike the right balance.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise. I find that 1/2 cup is much more than enough for me, but some of my friends add much more. They say it is tastier, but for me, I say it is more ‘unwanted fat’. Up to you, but my values are “less is more”.
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest. I leave you to decide on this ingredient. I quite like it, but some people may feel it adds too many flavors. It is an individual choice.
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice. That’s a definite yes. I prefer to use fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar. At the end of the day, vinegar has got some chemicals while using a real freshly harvested lemon is just great for your health.
- 1 teaspoon mustard. Again, this is up to you. If you feel mustard is too strong, then remove it.
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots or red onions. I prefer red pinkish onions for this dish.
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley. This is more for the look of it. But parsley is also very healthy. (1)
- 1 tbsp (.25 oz) shaved parmesan – Aim for a real piece of parmesan. Usually, a real piece of parmesan adds a lot of flavors to your meal. Do not overdo it with this cheese as you may lose the other flavors.
- 1 tomato (or more if you want)
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) dry macaroni pasta – You choose which type you prefer. I have no real preference here, and you can choose any type of pasta such as the macaroni one or other.
Direction for your recipes using canned salmon and pasta
The first step is to prepare the pasta.
We all know how to boil these, but I like to provide my little bit of advice and methodology.
Put 2 quarts of water in a pot and bring to boiling point.
Now add 1 Tbsp of salt and the dry macaroni pasta.
The trick is to cook the pasta uncovered (yes they are people that cook pasta covered).
You should boil the macaroni for about 10 minutes (more or less depending on the cooking requirements as per the guidelines on the pack).
If you do not know then boil them until the macaroni is like Italians call it ‘al dente’ (in English the equivalent is ‘slightly firm’). Slightly firm means that the pasta is cooked, but not overcooked. I am sure you know what I mean.
Now drain them and rinse gently and briefly in cold water. Note, you need the macaroni to be a bit warm after rinsing. And drain again. Great, we have our pasta ready.
Here is your pasta.
The second step is to prepare the salmon.
It is dead simple. Pour the salmon and all the other ingredients in a large bowl.
When done, you need to mix the lot. Here is how:
Pour the salmon, mustard, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add to this a couple of tomato pieces. Cut the tomato into small cubes. Children love them that way.
Add the shallots (or onions) and the parsley. Keep some parsley aside for later (they are used for a little bit of decoration).
Here I changed the recipe. This is my first modification to the recipe. I will use coriander instead of the parsley (now you can feel that this recipe is really dynamic).
Do not forget the nice little cherry tomatoes. Chop them in two. These are really juicy so will add a lot of flavor to the dish.
The third step is also very simple.
Just stir the lot. When done, pour the drained pasta into the bowl.
Again, mix in the cooked pasta while it is still a little warm. This is to allow the pasta to absorb as many flavors as possible. This step is extremely important.
Now you can some freshly ground black pepper.
Finally, you can adjust your seasonings before eating.
Your canned salmon with pasta is ready to be eaten. But there is one final step that I would advise you to do.
Ensure that your chill the dish before serving. I find that some of my friends serve this dish when the pasta is still a little warm.
Though there is nothing wrong with that, I personally prefer the dish cold. At the end of the day, it is called ‘canned salmon and pasta in a salad’. And a salad is supposed to be eating fresh (or cold if you prefer’).
Here is the dish with some canned corn added to it – I told you that you can modify the ingredients. I just did it to show you how simple is this dish.
The last step is to add some slices of fresh Parmesan. And you’re done.
Conclusion on canned salmon and pasta salad:
Was this difficult? I am sure not. But if you did find it difficult to prepare, then you should make this dish a number of times.
After three or four times, you’ll get used to the ingredients, and I am sure you’ll be adding your own little touch.
It is about time to get some more canned salmon as everyone would want some more.
Go ahead and prepare your next salmon and pasta salad and make sure you have some canned in the cupboard.
You never know, some friends may just pop in at the last minute.
Back to you
I am sure you’ll find this recipe easy to prepare. And I am also sure your family will love it. Do not forget to change the type of pasta to make it more fun.
If you want to find more great recipes in addition to this one, just click here for amazing Omigy posts.
Please do not forget to take action and like the post. Share it with your friends and families and please leave a comment below.