I have so often asked myself these questions. Why on earth some of us lose weight so quickly? Why are they faced with such a sudden weight loss?
Sometime I sit down and reflect on why so many of us have, for many years, been struggling to lose weight while others just lose it in such a short time. They even seem to be able to control putting on weight and losing it so quickly thereafter.
The only way I seem to be successful in losing my extra fat is by doing a lot of exercise and dieting.
So I finally decided to investigate and document why we should be careful if we suddenly lose weight. This is due to the fact that I felt it was not really healthy and there were some conditions behind this sudden weight loss.
So unless you are doing some real work out or following a complete diet plan like these: Venus Factor, 3 week diet system and the old school new body, then if you have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, you may face some unwanted difficult conditions.
Here are the True Reasons for Sudden Weight Loss
This is a complex problem and there is a great deal of advantage in knowing the main reasons for this condition as it may happen to you.
Understanding what your body may be going though can help you in tackling your sudden weight loss conditions before it reaches the point of no return.
All over the internet we hear about the apparent causes of such a condition. Many of the reasons you can find are summarized purely for sponsoring some product or diet construct. In essence, the true reasons for weight loss are quite different from what we read on a daily basis.
We will discuss the true ones here. Unintentional drop in weight has some prime root causes that we will discuss here as well.
1. Weight loss related to some diseases
Some chronic diseases lead to rapid weight loss. Here are some of these. If you have a sudden weight loss condition, then aim to see your doctor for professional advice.
- Malnutrition: eating less can severely affect your weight. Disease-based malnutrition arises from problems in intake of food. Sometimes, digestive problems also lead to an upset balance.
- Cancer, AIDS, and COPD: these diseases accompany weight loss very commonly. These diseases make your immune system ineffective. This weakens your body systems and thus affects your weight adversely. Cancer, especially, is as a disease that can easily lead to unintentional weight loss.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: gastrointestinal disorders result in unwanted drainage of nutrients in the form of vomiting, diarrhea, etc. According to Wikipedia, “possible gastrointestinal etiologies of unexplained weight loss include: celiac disease, peptic ulcer disease, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, gastritis, diarrhea and many other GI conditions.”
- Gastroenteritis, parasite infection, and overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) are also know to decrease weight.
2. Weight loss via a viral infection
Weight loss due to viral infections is quite rare, especially as compared to other kinds of weight loss causes. The primary viral infections that lead to unwanted weight loss are HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) or CMV (Cytomegalovirus).
The thing with viral infections is that if you’re losing weight due to them, you’ll get sicker. That can be really serious.
Maintaining a proper diet with the required levels of nutrition is very important while suffering from weight loss due to viral infections of any kind.
Most of all, you should make sure that you’re not eating less. Also read R. Morgan Griffin’s article about countering losing weight due to HIV.
3. Social reasons
Social reasons are one of the prime reasons for weight loss. You may be a victim of the below conditions:
- Stress: it is caused by excessive workload, impaired relationships, social insecurity (prestige related problems), and financial situation. If you are under a lot of stress, then you are a potential candidate for depression. Stress leads to weight loss. Note it can also lead to weight gain too.
- Isolation: social isolation leads to a loss of appetite and ultimately weight loss. Some people struggle with a loss of identity, which is a prime reason for isolation. Anti-social behavior, insecurity, and isolation are interrelated and shall be corrected with the help of networking and meeting new people.
- Preferred food: people get easily uncomfortable if their environment changes to a degree that they cannot get or prepare the food of their choices. This leads to a loss of appetite. It’s very common to be associated with weight loss; however it’s not a very serious problem. This condition can easily be corrected.
4. Emotional reasons
Emotional reasons like the death of a loved one lead to a complex effect that’s a culmination of stress, depression, weight loss, unhealthy lifestyle, and loss of appetite.
As humans, I believe we have the right to emotional attachment with fellow animals, objects. I also believe that we have the right to love and like other people.
A good fraction of people are known to exhibit exceptional emotional loss handling skills but most of us are very immune to sentimental depression. The best way to rid of emotional depression is to give it some time.
Psychiatrists and doctors can help decide new diets and lifestyle patterns that can be beneficial for stopping unintentional weight loss as associated with a loss loved one.
5. Special and specific reasons
Specific reasons like therapies, organ dysfunctions, and surgeries can also lead to losing weight.
I highly recommend you to check with your doctor the after effects of any therapy or surgery you’re about to undertake.
For example, surgeries often lead to weight loss. Doctors argue that the energy needed to heal the wounds after surgeries leads to unintentional weight loss.
Back to you
Now you know of the different conditions you may be faced with when losing sudden weight. Knowing these will help you speaking knowledgeably with a professional doctor.
Please share this valuable information as it is important for all of us to know about this condition.